Sunday 11 September 2011

An Introduction to Participation in Occupation 2


"The analytic process are ways of thinking used by occupational therapy practitioners to understand activities and occupations, their demands and therapeutic potential, the skills required to do them, and the potential meaning ascribed to them” ( Crepeau, 2003)

Participation In Occupation 2 carries on Participation In Occupation 1, except this time I have to Participate in an activity for at least 2 hours a week. Throughout this paper I will make weekly blogs telling you what I have been up to and what I have experienced.

The activity that I am going to spend time doing is playing rugby league. For me I have played rugby union for the last 8 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have have decided to make a code switch this season to rugby league because my placement for course prevented me from playing rugby this season. So here I am playing rugby league in the spring competition!!

For me playing rugby allows me to get my mind away from real life and gives me something else to focus on for at least 6 hours a week. It allows me to focus all my energy into playing out of my skin by making big tackles and running the ball as hard as possible at the opposition. Playing rugby is the only time where you are legally allowed to collide with another human being. Im allowed to be out of control on the rugby field.....well within reason that is. Rugby is also a way for me to keep fit as it motivates me to go to the gym, go for runs and  turn up to the trainings in order to do my best for my teammates. This leads to the social side of rugby. You create a bond with the other men in the team where you are willing to do anything on the field for them. You make many new friends from joining just one team. After so many years playing rugby i have meet so many awesome people and have been able to expand my social circle.

In class this week we looked at human occupation and where it falls: Food, Paper and Play. We look at food as being the things that need to be done such as cooking, eating, cleaning, self cares etc etc. Paper is the things that are man made which involve the likes of sewing, building and writing etc. Play are the things that we do together for enjoyment and they bring us together like playing sports, music/dance etc. We then had to decide on something we did already that fitted into one of these 3 categories and i choose rugby league which obviously fits under play.

Playing rugby has aspects that apply to being an Occupational Therapist, some of these reasons are: It shows that I am able to be apart of a team and work in a team, it shows that I am able to develop relationships(social skills) and I am able to add to the group and help it progress.

References
Crepeau E. ( 2003 ). Analyzing occupation and activity: A way of thinking about occupational performance. In Crepeau E., Cohn E, & Schell B (Eds.), Willard and Spackman’s occupational therapy ( 10th ed., pp.189-198). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins

2 comments:

  1. Great work Heath I really like the way you have explained your experience with rugby and linked it well with occupational therapy. However it would be quite good to have a reference in the blog as well. Have you checked out the 'Anansi boys' reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input I will get onto that straight away. No I have not checked that reading out, probably should eh.

    ReplyDelete