Wednesday 5 October 2011

Affordances 2 - Aesthetics

Aesthetics is the branch of philosophy that deals with the nature and expression of beauty. The point of my blog this week is to look at the aesthetics of rugby. Certain activities have a larger amount 'beauty' such as arty activities.

Aesthetics in terms of rugby.
What is it that is appealing about rugby? For me when Im playing I love to see someone make a huge tackle on an opposing player. When I see this it makes me want to play harder and make a big tackle like the one I just witnessed. I really enjoy seeing/being apart of a really well constructed move that has been pulled off. Too me seeing that is a beautiful piece of work. Another beautiful thing is all the different kinds of rugby tops that my oppisition wear.

Spirituality
When I play I know it makes my Dad happen because he likes to come and watch me and I enjoy knowing that.

Linking with history
For me rugby is away to get out on the field and become one with my ancestors and do battle with only one intention and that is to win, I want to win and be the best I can be. How I play and act on the field is due to all the different coaches I have had and playing well is a way of thanking/honouring them for what they have taught me over the years.

Physical

What is the capacity for strength, fitness, endurance, skill, flexibility, speed, height, balance.
 In rugby it is far better if you are strong, fairly fit with some endurance to last 80 minutes of rugby, witha high level of skill in terms of catching, passing, running the ball, kicking and tackling, you have to be flexible ish in order to be able to be tackled without injury, you have to fast to out run the oppisition if necassary, you need to be roughly over 1.7m high with a weight of at least 75kgs in the premier grade and you have to be relatively good on your feet by being able to dodge opponents and run the desired lines when attacking with the ball. By just playing rugby you normally increase these things in the desired way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heath,

    really interesting blog, can tell you are very passionate about rugby which makes your blog easy to read. Bet you would have had an enjoyable Sunday night watching the All Blacks win eh! Maybe you could go a bit further with how having your dad at your games makes you feel? But other than that really good work on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete