Monday 24 October 2011

Ambience


Ambience is used as a way of describing the feeling of the whole activity. The ambience here is therefore the gestalt (spirit) of the activity, it is an understanding that based on a sense of the whole, rather than of breaking it into its constituent parts. Ambience describes the feeling created by a particular nature of an activity when it is being done for itself.
This is a story which I have written about the feeling of my game of rugby.

The last time I was playing rugby it was a warm day, the ground was hard, my tags would hardly dig into the ground and sweat was dripping off of my face, I could hear the hum of the crowd and nothing else while I was watching the birds fly over my head. I was waiting for kick off, I was standing behind the posts looking into the grandstand at the people watching. I felt amazing I was amping to do my best and put on a show for the crowd. Just standing on the field waiting for kick off made me really happy to be alive. My team mates looked like they were ready to play out of their skins more than ever. I could tell that the weather was going to make this game so much more fun and enjoyable. It was nearly time to do everything I could to benefit my team. Making big tackles, good runs and doing what the coach asked for me. The combination of everything added to an overwhelming feeling of enjoyment. I was ready to do everything I could!! The whistle blew and the battle begun.

1 comment:

  1. This is some quality writing here Heath. Your descriptive writing has really described the atmosphere of the game. It sounds as though rugby is a great passion of yours! Have you thought of maybe adding some more information of what ambience is in relation to your story?

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete